After W.Bro. James Noel Pitts, Howe and Charnwood Lodge No.1007, and Lodge of Science and Art, No.8429, died in June 2013 his family asked the Almoner of Howe and Charnwood, W.Bro. Ray Hardy, to dispose of his Masonic regalia and deal with some Masonic curios. W.Bro. Ray faithfully returned regalia to the lodges of which W.Bro. Jim had been a member, but there was an old toffee tin containing a number of Masonic jewels and other curios. W.Bro. David Sharpe from the Lodge of Research No.2429 was then asked to help identify them and to deal with them as he thought best.
Many of the jewels were duplicates of those held at the Masonic Hall at Loughborough, and so he took them to the Provincial Museum in Leicester to include in their collection. Four of these jewels are of special interest:
The First is a Bi-centennial Jewel issued in 1917, issued during World War 1 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the formation of the Grand Lodge of England. On the Obverse is an engraving of the MWGM, the Duke of Connaught and on the reverse the arms of UGLE and the dates 1717 – 1917.
There are also two silver Masonic Million Memorial Fund Commemorative Jewels. These were in recognition of money donated to the Masonic Peace Memorial, later to become known as Freemasons’ Hall, in memory of the many brethren who had given their lives in the First World War. These were issued to any lodge member under the English Constitution who donated ten guineas (£10.50) or more. They were given to W.Bros. J.S. Potter PPJGW and H. Mallinson. Some 52,334 individual Jewels were issued. Any individual Mason donating 100 guineas or more was eligible for one of these jewels in gold. Was there a gold one for W.Bro. Potter, since he donated over 100 guineas? If so, what became of it? If not, why not?
A slightly larger medal in gold on a light blue collarette to be worn by successive Masters of lodges was awarded to those lodges contributing an average of ten guineas per member, which were to be known as Hall Stone Lodges. Howe and Charnwood did not qualify, but there are two such lodges in the Province who did, Albert Edward Lodge, No. 1560, and Enderby Lodge, No.5061. In all 1321 lodges at home and abroad qualified as Hall Stone Lodges.
The final jewel in the tin was perhaps the most interesting. It was created to be awarded to those individual Masons, who had donated at least 240 guineas (£252). 956 of these Jewels were issued. This was given to W. Bro. Potter and was inscribed with his name and M.M.M. which was used to designate the Masonic Million fund.
Whilst these Jewels are, of course, of considerable interest they are only in the Museum in Leicester due to the thoughtfulness of W.Bro. Jim’s family and will form part of a display of his curios and works donated the Museum. How easily they could be now in some ‘antique shop’ or a flea market. One must ask, will families know what to do with Masonic regalia, books and curios when the owners pass away? This is the point made by W.Bro. T. M. Ll. Walters in the conclusion of his Inaugural Address to the Lodge of Research in 1977 when he said: “Many Masons have interesting material. When they die their wives or executors may not appreciate it and it would be a service to posterity if arrangements could be made to deposit it either with their lodges, or an established library or archive before it gets into the hands of persons who may not appreciate its value.”