On 26th January 2015 the Lodge of Research No.2429, was treated to an oral and aural event when Bro. Carl Heslop, a young member of Highcross Lodge No.48355, gave a presentation on the history of the organ in the Holmes Lodge Room in Freemasons’ Hall, Leicester and its current versatility following the extensive restoration it underwent over the summer of 2014
Introducing Bro. Heslop, W.Bro. David Hughes, the current Master of the Lodge of Research, who has also been involved with the restoration work, introduced the speaker and stated that he had commenced playing the organ at the age of 8 and had then become much involved in the Theatre Organ world, before being apprenticed to the world famous firm of organ builders, Harrison and Harrison of Durham.
Bro. Heslop, who is now working for another most prestigious organ builder, Peter Collins of Melton Mowbray, then proceeded to give the members of the Lodge and a large number of visitors a most illuminating lecture on the arcane mysteries of organ building by showing how various types of traditional organ pipes are made and can be combined to produce a very wide range of sounds and differing volumes. He then brought the science and art of organ building into the 21st Century by introducing the modern systems of digital sound production with which the Holmes Temple organ is now equipped in addition to its older traditional wood and metal pipes.
Bro. Heslop revealed that the origins of the organ can be traced back to the early years of the 19th Century when it started life as a small chamber instrument built by the famous London craftsman, William Gray. By some unknown process this had made its way to Leicester and was utilised by the local organ builders Taylor and Co as the basis of the instrument installed in the old Masonic Hall in Halford Street in 1903. This was moved to the present Hall in 1910 and was extended by Taylors in memory of W.Bro. Billson, in the 1940`s.
After many years of faithful service the old instrument fell into disrepair and silence until being rescued by Bro. Heslop who volunteered his services shortly after attending an open evening meeting at London Road where he was invited to become an initiate in Highcross Lodge, which, of course, is the Lodge of our current Provincial Grand Master, RW.Bro. David Hagger.
The lecturer then became the recitalist and demonstrated with great virtuosity the amazing versatility the organ now has in its new “hybrid” form which places it at the vanguard of organ building technology and gives us one of the finest instruments available to Freemasonry.
Bro.Heslop showed how the organ can produce sounds in the English Cathedral tradition, those of the North German and French Baroque styles and then by simply pressing a few switches he transported the entire company present to the Tower Ballroom in Blackpool with a recreation of the sounds of “the Mighty Wurlitzer” school of organs. It was subsequently pointed out that the world renowned Reginald Dixon, for so many years the organist of the Tower Ballroom and who was known as “Mr Blackpool” was a prominent Mason in Lancashire.
Following the recital Bro. Heslop answered many questions from those present and was then thanked and congratulated by the Provincial Grand Master who pointed out that the selfless devotion of this young Mason had saved the Province a very considerable sum of money while giving us an instrument of which we may be truly proud.
Bro. Heslop was then thanked by W Bro. David Hughes who presented him with a copy of the Transactions of the Lodge of Research for the current year as a token of the Lodge`s thanks for his efforts. Bro. Heslop responded by presenting W.Bro. Hughes with a redundant pipe from the organ which prompted the response that the Master of the Lodge of Research would now be able to blow his own trumpet!
It can honestly be said that this event was historic in that it was the first combined lecture and recital to be given to the Lodge of Research, and it was most enthusiastically received by all those who were present.